High-Quality Early Learning
Research shows that 75% of brain growth and 85% of intellect, personality and social skills develop before age five. Early childhood is now recognized as a crucial learning period – not just to prepare children for success in school, but to lay the foundation for a lifetime of learning.
That is why the Early Childhood Advisory Council (ECAC) is making Early Learning a priority. Through QUALITYstarsNY, the state’s quality rating and improvement system for early childhood programs, we are helping parents find the best possible care for their child. A quality rating and improvement system (QRIS) is used to assess, improve, and communicate the level of quality in early childhood education programs and in school-age child care programs. By participating in a QRIS, early learning and school-age child care programs and providers embark on a path of continuous quality improvement. In addition, New York Works for Children is expanding training opportunities for early childhood professionals to become high quality providers.
ECAC Desired Outcomes: Quality Early Learning
The following desired outcomes guide the ECAC’s work on Early Learning:
- Attachment: Ensuring that children have positive and consistent attachments to parents, caregivers, and educators.
- Information: Ensuring that caregivers and other providers have the knowledge, skills, confidence, and social supports to nurture the health, safety, and positive development of children.
- Natural environments: Delivering early intervention and/or preschool special education programs and services in natural environments, with the least restrictive settings possible.
- High-quality care: Providing all families with access to high-quality, developmentally-appropriate early care and education.
- Early literacy: Supporting early literacy through family caregivers training and support.
- Communication: Promoting regular communication about a child’s learning and development among families, caregivers, and educators.
Supporting Early Learning: the ECAC is working to support early learning through the: