Quality Improvement Work Group
More than 30 states across the country currently have quality rating and improvement systems in place, providing parents with valuable data about early childhood programs. By linking universal standards to a five-star “rating system,” these programs also ensure the best use of limited public funding. The Quality Improvement Work Group is focusing on insuring the implementation of QUALITYstarsNY. QUALITYstarsNY is New York’s tiered quality rating and improvement system.
Work Group activities include:
- Program Quality Standards: Developing uniform quality standards for all early childhood education programs. Three separate sets of standards have been field-tested for: Centers/Schools, Family/Group Family, and School-aged Child Care programs. They are organized into the following categories:
- Learning Environment
- Family Environment
- Management and Leadership
- Qualifications and Experience
- Professional Development & Technical Assistance: Conducting workshops across New York State to prepare the early childhood education workforce.
- Quality Scholars: Securing funding for early childhood staff to pursue college courses, credentialing opportunities and onsite coaching.
- Data, Monitoring and Accountability: Achieving accurate and streamlined monitoring and data collection of early childhood education programs to better illustrate the complexity of the early learning system and drive funding allocations.
- Financial Supports: Using existing resources to provide professional development and essential materials, to support quality improvement plans, for center-based and family-based early childhood education programs.
- Communication and Outreach: Explaining QUALITYstarsNY and its impact to parents to provide programs with an incentive to attain a higher star rating.
Publications and Resources
- QUALITYstarsNY: A Guide for Parents and Families Choosing a Quality Early Care and Education Program
- QUALITYstarsNY Brochure
- QUALITYstarsNY Field Test Evaluation Report
- QUALITYstarsNY Field Test Evaluation Report Executive Summary
- QUALITYstarsNY Opportunities for Alignment of Current Resources
- QUALITYstarsNY Standards for Center/School Based Early Learning and Development Programs
- The Blueprint for Excellent Early Childhood Education in New York State
- The QUALITYstarsNY Assessment Report